
Hello everybody,
I hope you are all doing well !
I think it would take too long to explain everything I learned about Icelandic culture. I'll try to explain the essential things.
Almost all the Islanders are avid readers. They read on average five books per year. Their readings are essentially composed of sagas and eddas which were written during the High and Late Middle Ages. Islandic language has not change much since the 13 th century. Icelanders can therefore read the original writings without any problem and the literature of the Middle Ages is even taught in all the primary schools !
Islanders love museums. The creation of museums is like a national hobby. Keeping the past is one of the more important concerns for this people and especially the conservation that transmits certain beliefs (the presence in the Reykjanes peninsula of invisible elves for example). There is no village which hasn't a maritime, a folk, a history museum or other but all of them are not always interesting (sometimes very expensive and not many things to see).
Art is very present in all its forms in the Islandic culture. There is practically one art gallerie with islandic or foreign masterpieces in each street downtown.
The thing that marks me the most is that almost everyone practice a musical instrument. The teaching of music is integrated into the curriculum of primary schools. There is also a choir in each school (also in secundary schools). That's far to be the same in Belgium.
The Islandic culinary art is a bit strange.
You can find anything you want to eat here but there are also typically Islandic dishes wich some of them are completely enideble like rotten shark, a whole sheap's head or ram's testicles. Enjoy your meal if you are going to eat ! :p
I'd like to share a cultural clash but it did not happen. I have the feeling that you adapt yourself very easely to the Icelandic culture and pace. I also have the feeling that the Icelanders have developped a "non-conflict" culture and it's very relaxing.
Islanders speak very well English and I can easely ask them questions about their culture. It also influence my knowledge of English because I practice the language every day.
It's sometimes possible to make some links between Dutch and Icelandic when I'm teaching because both languages have common origines. I understand sometimes what the students say during the lessons. It's very funny !
All the best !
Karim
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire